Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tova

Anybody Have Knowledge About Computer Hardware?

Basically I need to migrate from a laptop to a desktop PC because I need to run some high computational programs for my work. I will not be using it for gaming.

Given this information what would be the most cost effective way to setting up a PC. i.e buy a built PC or build one my self?

Wondering because a lot of people seem to build PCs but is that just for gaming? Is that more expensive than buying pre-built computers from bestbuy etc when I just need to it run computer programs and not for gaming?

Any advice helpful.

cost effective = definitely build one yourself. i had no idea what i was doing, i used pcpartspicker.com, and watched a 20min youtube video and built a $2400 beast. i just sent my friend a sample build without any research and got a similar but not as good build for $980 (USD)

If you build it yourself you don’t pay the retarded markups.

@Tova when your ready send me the info we discussed on discord I'll help you spec it out, and if you need we can do a facetime and I'll walk you through building and loading the OS

pcpartpicker is definitely the way to go, but don't forget to buy a shitton of blue LEDs to make it run faster

I know this is an old post...However, I overspent when I built my PC.  Two years later I realized there were certain areas I could've cut corners to cut cost significantly without losing much performance.  My PC is overkill for many games available right now.  If I were to go back in time, I would prioritize my Monitor>CPU>GPU>Power Supply.  The rest are not as Important.  RAM, Storage, Cooling, Fans, Etc can all be upgraded in the future.  Start small, and work your way up with where you're lacking in performance.  The best part of building a computer aside from all of the experience you get is the fact you can always upgrade and you will know how to do so.  If you have a pre-built and you begin having issues the only solution is to either take it apart and risk losing parts, misplacing parts, screwing up the original build - or taking it to someone and paying them.  GL

Im planning to build a new computer by myself, ill check out some videos